CARES strengthens families by raising awareness on current, controversial and challenging issues facing families today. These cutting-edge programs are research-based and vetted by local parents and educators.
Our aim is two-fold; 1) to assist parents and caregivers of preschoolers, through college-age children to identify and resolve common parenting challenges using a variety of large and small group formats, and 2) enhance parental connections with their children, and facilitate productive family interactions.
To request a program topic, click here. For a complete listing of this year’s topics, see below.
“CARES provides speakers that discuss timely and relevant topics
for our New Canaan families. I personally find at least one “take away”
skill or point on parenting in each presentation I attend.”
SUSAN M., PARENT, ELEMENTARY, MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL
October 21, 6:30PM NC Library, Lamb Room Speaker: Emily Torchiana Emily shatters the mental health stigma by sharing her personal story: being victim to cyberbullying, struggling with mental health and surviving a suicide attempt during her adolescent years. Now a young adult, Emily shares a message of hope and awareness.
2020 Program Topics
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs
- Birth Order & Development
- Body Image & Eating Disorders
- Boundaries & Limit Setting
- Cliques, Exclusion and Other Mean Behaviors
- Cyber Safety
- Dating & Intimacy
- Decision Making & Leadership
- Developmental Milestones – physical, social, academic
- Independence & Responsibility
- Nutrition & Health,
- Organizing your Family
- Parallel Parenting – Working as a Team
- Personal Safety and Injury Prevention
- Positive Discipline
- Pressured Child (social, academic, athletic)
- Puberty & Development
- Resilience & Self-Confidence
- Sibling Rivalry
- Social, Emotional and Physical Changes
- Social Networking/Monitoring Technology
- Strengthening your Family Bonds (volunteering, traditions, moments)
- Stress & Anxiety
- Transitioning to Kindergarten, Middle School and High School