CARES strengthens families by raising awareness on current, controversial and challenging issues facing families today. These cutting-edge programs are research-based and vetted by local parents and educators.
Our aim is two-fold; 1) to assist parents and caregivers of preschoolers, through college-age children to identify and resolve common parenting challenges using a variety of large and small group formats, and 2) enhance parental connections with their children, and facilitate productive family interactions.
To request a program topic, click here. For a complete listing of this year’s topics, see below.
“CARES provides speakers that discuss timely and relevant topics
for our New Canaan families. I personally find at least one “take away”
skill or point on parenting in each presentation I attend.”
SUSAN M., PARENT, ELEMENTARY, MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL
NCHS, Wagner Room
Come hear from experts in the field and a young adult who struggled with video game overuse. Parents with children of all ages welcome!
NCHS, Wagner Room
MediaGirls teaches girls to think critically about what media content they’re consuming. In this engaging, interactive workshop, parents and girls will learn concrete strategies…
Speaker: Alexandra “Bunny” Potts
Learn how to understand and celebrate your child as the unique individual he/she is! Discover ways to appreciate and nurture your child even …
NC Historical Societyl
Speaker: Dr. Theresa Federici
This workshop will help women explore the value of balance in their lives. You will walk away with ideas and tips on how to find balance …
Join us as we discuss all topics related to children’s health and wellness. Do not miss this panel of leading local experts who will cover the benefits of nutrition, neurofeedback and mental wellness.
NCHS Choral Room
Rising freshman and their families explore the ins and outs of high school transition, from schedules and extra curriculars to avoiding negative outcomes.
West school staff and Ellen Brezovsky will provide strategies for a fun, active summer that keeps kids learning. Stave off the summer slide with these tips…
2019 Program Topics
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs
- Birth Order & Development
- Body Image & Eating Disorders
- Boundaries & Limit Setting
- Cliques, Exclusion and Other Mean Behaviors
- Cyber Safety
- Dating & Intimacy
- Decision Making & Leadership
- Developmental Milestones – physical, social, academic
- Independence & Responsibility
- Nutrition & Health,
- Organizing your Family
- Parallel Parenting – Working as a Team
- Personal Safety and Injury Prevention
- Positive Discipline
- Pressured Child (social, academic, athletic)
- Puberty & Development
- Resilience & Self-Confidence
- Sibling Rivalry
- Social, Emotional and Physical Changes
- Social Networking/Monitoring Technology
- Strengthening your Family Bonds (volunteering, traditions, moments)
- Stress & Anxiety
- Transitioning to Kindergarten, Middle School and High School